Thursday, October 20, 2011

Why play football?

I have been asked time and time again, Why do I play football. At first I thought it was because I love playing football, that it is one of my favorite things to do. Then I started to think more in depth about why I actually play and I realized that it isn't as simple as love for football. I play football because my little brother can't. He had a brain tumor and had to have brain surgery to get it removed. After you have brain surgery you aren't allowed to play contact sports, or any sports that might involve contact any more. He loved to play football as much as I did, maybe even more. It breaks my heart to know that he can never play again. So in a way I play for him, I play because he can't. Another reason I play football because I love the discipline. I love the thought of a group of guys sacrificing, striving, and fighting for the same goal. There is a certain sense of brotherhood on football teams. Everyone is knows what it takes to be the best and to improve. Football is like no other sport around. It is unique in the face that without a teamwork there is no way to succeed, without the guy next to you doing his job there is no way it can be accomplished. Another reason I play the sport is to stay in shape. I think if I didn't have to go out and push myself pass my limits of fatigue, I wouldn't. Without the constant griping and motivating by the coaches to push harder and get better, I wouldn't train with the same tenacity. I truly believe if I didn't play football everyday, I would be fat and lazy. In addition, football teaches morals and values that I am going to use for the rest of my life. One of the values I've learned through football is to never give up no matter what the adversity maybe. Working as a team, as one unit is the most efficient way to get things done. Trust, who you are with and in yourself to know to do the right thing. Faith, have faith in your god to guide you, and in what ever you do. Believe, not only in yourself but in everything around you. Lastly, I play football because of the competitiveness. Everyday is a new struggle to be the best in practice and in games. My coach once told me, " Someone, somewhere, RIGHT NOW, is training to be better then you."

No comments:

Post a Comment